About Matt Hancock
Matthew was recently appointed Minister for Skills and Enterprise. He is the Conservative MP for West Suffolk.
Matthew was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Skills in September 2012.
Matthew was educated at West Cheshire College and The King’s School in Chester. He studied philosophy, politics and economics at Exeter College, University of Oxford, and has a master’s degree in economics from the University of Cambridge.
The minister is responsible for:
- further education
- adult skills,Skills Funding Agency and skills strategy
- lifelong learning and informal adult learning
- UK Commission for Employment and Skills and the Sector Skills Council
- workplace training reforms
- qualifications reform programme
- small business, enterprise and access to finance
- business support
Matthew worked as an economist at the Bank of England before moving to work for the then Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, in 2005.
After becoming an MP, Matthew was elected to the Public Accounts Committee and the Committee on Standards and Privileges.